Sunday, February 7, 2016

Arrogance: How our Aversion to Authority Detracts from Humility

I find myself in an interesting position as a Latino immigrant, to observe the differences between American culture and Latino culture. I was born and raised in Managua, Nicaragua. I came to the United States when I was 17 years old. I am now 30.

Latino culture is a high distance power culture, where there is less distribution of power, and economic and social classes are more marked. People in high distance cultures have "a place" where they belong, and different groups of social and economic classes usually don't mix together. In these cultures there is a strong sense of community, and the well being of this community is sought as a priority.

American culture is a low distance power culture, where there is (in theory at least) a more equal distribution of power, and economic and social classes are less marked. People in low distance cultures see themselves as equals, and different groups of social and economic classes can and do mix together. In these cultures there is a strong sense of individualism, and the ideals of the individual and his or her personal freedom is sought as a priority.

At this point in my life, I feel fluent in both cultures, and I can switch between them, though it is not always easy to do so. I see good things in both cultures, and it is not the purpose of this post to argue the validity of one culture over the other.

Aversion to Authority
Another difference between American culture and Latino culture is its relationship with authority. American culture, with its emphasis on individualism, has as a natural consequence an implicit bias against authority.

Authority is frowned upon, and the use of it needs to be constantly justified.

In Latino culture, authority is expected and wanted. We see the need for people with strong leadership skills to be in authority to guide the people with the vision and ideals of the community. If this leader is not using his or her authority to move forward with the community's vision, then the leader runs the risk of being dethroned by a revolution. Revolution is the way that high distance power cultures deal with social change. In low distance power cultures a leader (usually very limited in power by checks and balances) is simply voted out by the people, who are seen as having the power.

The American people, it seems to me, look at persons in position of authority with suspicion and sometimes, disdain.

The Fall & Arrogance
As I ponder the story of the fall in Genesis, I wonder how much the human tendency towards individualism, and our need to decide what's good for ourselves (don't tell me how to live my life!) by eating of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, has made us more arrogant.

If this is the case then a direct link can be made with extreme individualism, The Fall (where we decide what's good and bad for us without the intervention of an authority), and arrogance.

If this is the case, then a move towards humility is a move away from unrestrained individualism. Not only that, but a move towards humility will also mean a more balanced and healthy view of authority.

It is mentioned many times that American culture is one of arrogance and entitlement, and I have heard in many progressive circles this being readily admitted as they work to counteract these societal evils. What seems odd to me, however, is how ready progressive culture is to question authority at every turn, and to deconstruct every notion and ideal just for the sake of deconstruction. Not only that, but progressive culture seems to encourage self-expression and the "whatever works for you" motto of post-modern individualism, without the slightest recognition of how these attitudes can actually contribute to arrogance and entitlements.

I am not trying to ditch progressive culture. In many ways, I consider myself a progressive. And many people who know me can tell you that I support many progressive causes, but I can't just blindly ignore the many aspects of this culture that my particular bi-cultural lenses allow me to see. I cannot ignore, for example, how prevalent an elitist spirit is in many aspects of progressive culture.

Truth be told, when I think of humility, the last thing that comes to mind is someone absorbed in progressive culture. When I think of intellectualism, wittiness, and snobbery, then the quintessential progressive comes to mind.

As I mentioned in my last post, maybe our culture is fighting against our attempts at humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...